Come, Listen


This week I've been getting into 2 Nephi -- that means Isaiah is speaking, and for anyone who has ever read his stuff... it's not that obvious what he's saying, I'm not gonna lie. The nice thing is, I do understand some things, which I actually think are pretty important. These past few chapters have been so focused on the importance of prophets, coinciding perfectly with the upcoming General Conference. (For those unfamiliar with General Conference, it's when living prophets speak to the whole world! Pretty cool right?? Click the hyperlink above to see dates and times).

What is a prophet? Click here.

Reason #1 I'm grateful for prophets:
I love Nephi's simple words about the function of a prophet, "by the Spirit are all things made known unto the prophets, which shall come upon the children of men according to the flesh" (1 Nephi 22:2). So basically, the prophet is a huge resource for eliminating fear and uncertainty from our lives. I have experienced the debilitating force of fear from illness, heartbreak, and uncertainty--it can be crippling. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows his children perfectly, and knows how much we need an audible, guiding voice. A prophet is able to be "sure of the fulfilling of this promise," (2 Nephi 3:14) that "the righteous need not fear; for thus saith the prophet, they shall be saved" (1 Nephi 22:17). The world is a scary place right now--people are confused and afraid--because we have prophets to speak in the name of Christ, we don't have to be afraid of those things: "neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid" (1 Nephi 18:12).

Reason #2 I'm grateful for prophets:
We are far away from our heavenly home. Honestly, sometimes I get homesick for that place. My heart swells when I read the words of the Hymn "O My Father" (Hymn 292).

O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation,
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?

 For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, "You're a stranger here,"
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

 I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav'ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I've completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.

Hearing the words of living prophets is like getting letters from home for me (Kapp). And when I read the scriptures:)

Reason #3 I'm grateful for prophets:
Prophets are usually chosen "in the furnace of affliction" (1 Nephi 20:10), which is wonderful because so are we. I feel like we're all in the furnace of affliction to some degree, so they are able to empathize with our daily struggles. They are especially great at helping me see how the Lord "shall consecrate [my] afflictions for [my] gain" (2 Nephi 2:2). They testify of and remind me to follow Christ, who is the true source of that consolation and hope. As Nephi said, "that perhaps I might persuade them that they would remember the Lord their Redeemer" (1 Nephi 19:18). A true prophet will always point you to Christ. In fact, that is one of the only things I can understand from Isaiah, he testifies of Christ, just as all prophets do. In our day, the world is trying to come up with programs, institutions, bills, and ideas to solve just about everything. However, the one thing that the world is actually in need of is to follow Christ. I know that is why the Lord has called prophets to testify: "all flesh shall know that I the Lord am thy Savior and thy Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob" (2 Nephi 6:18). That is the message the world needs--Christ.

--------------

That said, I know there are many people who struggle with the doctrine of latter-day prophets and continuous revelation. I believe wholeheartedly in this Old Testament scripture, "surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets" (Amos 3:7).  I would also encourage all to take pause to understand and put in perspective revelations given to prophets that might be hard for some to understand. React humbly in the face of contradiction or confusion, it will bring wisdom and charity in the place of spite, offense, rejection, and blame.

"O, my beloved brethren, give ear to my words. Remember the greatness of the Holy One of Israel. Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken" (2 Nephi 9:40).

I know that Thomas S. Monson is God's chosen mouthpiece on the earth today. The Lord has given him two inspired counselors and a Quorum of Twelve Apostles to lead and guide the Church, which is the kingdom of God on Earth. I know those things through personal study, prayer, and application. I invite anyone who has questions about those things to pray humbly, find your questions, acknowledge them, and TAKE THEM TO CONFERENCE. I promise you the Lord will help you resolve your concerns. The blessings that have come to me from that assurance are indescribable. He wants to answer you. Don't be so impatient that you try to make Him answer in your way.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kapp, Ardeth G. Eyes to See. pg. 19 (Former General Young Women President)


Comments

Popular Posts