Calling Normal People



When we hear the name Lehi, we think "prophet." (If you are not sure who Lehi is click here to see the story I am about to talk about, and then keep reading:) I bet you'll love it). We imagine his family and their story, good sons, bad sons, "dwelt in a tent"... But the thing is, the Lehi we think of wasn't always that Lehi. Actually, once upon a time I believe Lehi was a pretty normal dude. That's nice to think about, because I'm pretty "normal" too. #hopeformyfuture #icandogreatthings. (Side note, everyone is normal, but also no one is).

So there's "normal" Lehi going about his business in Jerusalem, strutting his sandals (I wonder if they did actually wear sandals, if someone knows for sure, comment and let me know!). It seems that his day was a period that could be described as a "time of great excitement," as it says in 1 Nephi 1:4, "there came many prophets, prophesying unto the people that they must repent, or the great city Jerusalem must be destroyed." I don't know about you, but I would definitely feel something --I don't know about excited-- if I heard that being preached in my city. At this moment, I learn something about Lehi's character. Instead of being offended that men would say such things about wickedness and destruction, he is humble enough to go pray about what he's hearing. He "lacked wisdom," you could say, and "came to the conclusion that [he] must either remain in darkness and confusion, or else...ask of God." (If those words are unfamiliar, click here).

 Like I said, Lehi must have been a good man even when he was just "normal". It says he prayed "with all his heart, in behalf of his people." He didn't hear the prophecies and warnings and think, "oh, I should get outta here and save myself;" he was concerned for his country, for his people. What followed Lehi's fervent prayer included "a pillar of fire," "being overcome with the Spirit," a vision of the heavens and the impending destruction of Jerusalem, foretelling the captivity of the Jews, and his heart being "filled." That's a lot to take in. He sort of got the highest of highs and lowest of lows in there.

Lehi then undergoes the transformation into the Lehi that you and I think of -- He became a prophet. So let's think about what we've just learned: he has a humble heart to begin with, hears a bunch of prophets calling everyone to repentance, prays, sees a pillar of fire, has a subsequent vision, and then feels the desire to warn and help others. Poor guy, after all that goodness, the scriptures say he was mocked for his prophesies, the people were angry at him for telling them to repent, "even as with the prophets of old." I have noticed that is a characteristic of all disciples of Christ - they aren't really liked much by the general public. If you don't believe me, click here to read about the greatest prophet in existence and how He was treated, even by some who had once called Him "friend". Some call Him Jesus the Christ.

What is so remarkable to me about Lehi's experience is the resemblance to Joseph Smith's experience. (Unfamiliar with Joseph Smith? Click here:)) The beginning to this book of scripture serves to me as an added witness to my testimony of the truthfulness of his call to be a prophet. As President Russell M. Nelson said,"by worldly standards, Joseph was most unlikely. And his task to be the Prophet of this last dispensation seemed totally impossible. This example typifies the title of my message for you today: the Lord uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible!" (To see his full talk on the subject, click here). As I mentioned earlier, Lehi was probably some normal dude; so was Joseph. What a message of hope! We are all "finite vessels"! No one is a missionary or a prophet or a teacher or a mother or a father or a servant or a disciple until he or she is called and then willing to accept the call.

I have a testimony that God truly is "the same yesterday, today, and forever" (1 Nephi 10:18). He has always called prophets to be His mouthpiece on the earth. I love seeing the patterns in the way those calls are received. In this dispensation, yet another prophet was called. In a time where "great confusion and bad feeling ensued," another time of "great excitement," another fervent prayer to him who "[lacked] wisdom." That prayer was answered with a pillar of light (or in other accounts, described as "fire"), a vision of heavenly Beings, and a call to proclaim repentance. He was also met with harsh rejection and ridicule. However, just as Nephi concludes Lehi's transformative experience, Joseph and all other followers have learned "that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom [the Lord] hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

Have I seen a pillar of fire? No. Have I seen the heavens open? No. But have I had light shine into my life and show me the path He wants me to take? Yes. Have I been given opportunities to teach people and help them learn to repent and come unto Christ? Yes. Callings as well as tender mercies are extended to those who choose to have faith. So choose to have faith. Have faith in your Heavenly Father, His Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost to guide you. He will often guide you through the incomprehensible blessing of having a living prophet on the earth. From Lehi to Joseph, well, from Adam clear down to Thomas S. Monson, God has shown his concern for his children on the earth, "that the fulness of [the] gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world" (D&C 1:23).


References

1 Nephi 1

Joseph Smith History

Matthew 26

The Lord Uses the Unlikely to Accomplish the Impossible

Accounts of the First Vision

Doctrine and Covenants 1

James 1:15

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts